Saturday, March 20, 2010

Crashin' the Party

(Post-Market Pigeon Party)

We didn't even have our camera.

This is, according to my mom, an important point.

She wasn't expecting anything exceptional, so she left the camera at home.

On to the story.

We were reading the last chapter (for the day) of our book at the park when we saw seven kids playing their way over toward the place where the 2,000-year old aqueduct begins.  We were sitting by those stones.  The kids were all about the same height and they looked about the same age. Frances thought the man with them was the dad of all of them. 

Well, when they passed us, my mom asked us if we wanted to play with them.
WE SAID NO WAY! 

So, we read another paragraph and then my mom just stopped and said, "I'm going to go talk with that man." 

Frances and I were thinking, "Oh gosh." We thought for sure my mom would make us play with them. 

And she did.  My mom says, "I walked directly up to that man, squatted on my heels and said, 'Bonjour, je m'appele Carolyn et mes enfants besoin des amis.'  AKA, 'Hi, I'm Carolyn. My kids need friends.'  He was so incredibly generous and kind that I finally waved the girls over and he waved his kids over and there we were, meeting friends. As it turns out, it was his daughter's birthday party. And he was stopping their playing so that Eleanore and Frances could join in."


(another Market Pigeon Party photo)

So, we introduced ourselves and then all the other kids introduced THEMSELVES in English. They seemed very embarrassed and scared. One girl even said, "Je n'existe pas." Which means, of course, "I don't exist." Then she hid behind her friend. 

One of the boys told us that they were all playing "Ancient Romans."  And that he was a gladiator, his friend was Caesar, and his other friend was a lion, and some kids were Gauls.

They play Romans. We play Donner Party. It's only about an 1,800 year time difference.

After a while, my mom spoke some more french to the man. Here's what she says, "I said, 'So, my kids are shy and we're taking baby steps toward playing with french kids, and I think it's time to go home.'  I confided in my new friend that the girls had headaches, but that I thought they were just afraid.  He stopped the playing  again and said it was time to go home for cake. And he waved us along." 

So, we were invited to our first french birthday party!  I have to admit, though, that the whole way up to his house, I muttered "No. No. No. No. No," under my breath. My mom just kept going. And I always follow my mom so I had to keep going.

We walked up steep, mossy stairs to the clay tennis courts and across the street and into Gaia's house.  The house had a long entry hall into the living area, where the couch and the dining room table were.  The house kind of looked American. There wasn't much that was different:  it had a big flat screen television and a book shelf.  My mom says, "the house was small...it was simple and dark and yet there was so much generosity that it felt big and bright.  Then Gaia's mom came in from the kitchen and smiled and welcomed us."

After Gaia opened her presents, we sang Happy Birthday. Once in English (they needed to practice) and once in French (we needed to practice).  We ate cake, which was more like a brownie, but a really delicious home-made brownie with little edible decorations on top. And we ate a ton of candy.  

Frances says, "French candy is the best. Because it's like gummy worms and tootsie rolls in all kinds of flavors.  And also the drinks: there was ORANGINA! Orangina is the best. It's famous here.  All that Gaia got for her birthday presents was the American toy, Pet Shop. That was kind of weird to me. They're in France and they're using an American toy?" 

In the backyard, which went out onto a patio and then up some stairs into a long, narrow space with a few canopies of vines, we had a treasure hunt!  We were searching for chocolate eggs. Frances kicked bootie, of course. She had so many, she left a few in the dirt for another kid (the one who had said, "je n'existe pas").  I got three eggs because I wanted to save some for other people. 

(Because my mom didn't bring the camera, this one is from yesterday. Me climbing)

Then we all pooled our chocolates on the outside table so everyone got the same amount. 

Back inside, my mom asked for Gaia's mom's phone number and email. Gaia doesn't get home from school until 5pm so we'll probably play again on a weekend.  It's a bit of an awkward feeling to play with a french girl because I won't be able to really say anything to her so we're just going to have to pretend to be, oh, ummm, GLADIATORS...and just fight and not talk at all.  Frances will want to be the lion...and she'll want to eat us both.

I didn't want to go play or go to the party but now I'm happy I went.  I got to meet new kids and I will get a chance to learn more french being around them. 
Frances says, "I was happy to be at the party because nobody, well, I think nobody really ever invites Americans to their french birthday party."


My mom says,
"I didn't take that camera because I didn't think anything new or different would happen this afternoon. I thought it would be just 'another day in the park,' as they say. But a different adage comes to mind now:  'Expect what you least expect.' And of course, pounce on opportunity when it shows itself

Jeff had a fabulous ride around the villages. That's 5 rides in 7 days!  And we'll tell you all about the Saturday Market tomorrow."

But for now, Go St. Mary's College (my dad went to college there).
Sweet 16, here you come!!!



Eleanore

2 comments:

  1. good evening eleanore.
    you are sleeping. i am waiting for grampy to return from his office. he has to patients, one is eli and the other is rick rivilio's mother. they both have earaches. are you thinking about being an ear doctor? well, anyway, i am happy to hear about that party. i thought the cake sounded so delicious. i am not much of a candy fiend, so the candy did not make me jealous of your party. but the new friends was cool. and the french conversations very cool. that mommy of yours really got assertive, didn't she? it is a good trait, most of the time, i think, anyway. i am also happy that spring has sprung. we did a lot of yard work this morning, darling. you will be pleased with the progress we are making. and we cleaned the hottub also. sure do love you and frances. i will miss you this monday, very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a special message for your daddy.
    ST MARY'S ROCKS!!
    my husband is going crazy for them...that would be merle (he is difficult to recognize these days as his colors change with every game and he has to pick a team to win. no problem-o with ST MARY'S ROCKING TEAM....

    ReplyDelete